Assisi | Accademia Lingua Italiana
Located in the Umbrian Region of Italy, Assisi is one of Italy’s most beautiful hilltowns. UNESCO has designated it as a World Heritage Site for its rich medieval architecture and artistic treasures. The Accademia organizes courses of Italian language and culture for foreigners, at all levels of study, at its 13th-century building close to the historic center.
The Accademia offers courses of all levels of Italian from March through December in small classes, using a communicative-situational approach which, in a short time, enables students to speak fluent Italian. Levels are Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced, and lessons take place from Monday to Friday. Students can choose the level of intensity of their study program.
- Standard Italian Program: 4-hour classes per day (total of 20 per week/ 80 per month), from two weeks to ten months
Super-intensive Italian: 4-hour classes per morning followed by 2-hour afternoon session with only 1 to 3 participants (total of 30 hours per week/ 120 per month), from one week to ten months
Semi-intensive Italian: two weeks of 4 hours per morning and two weeks of 4 hours per morning followed by 2-hour afternoon session with only 1 to 3 participants (2 weeks of 20 per week and 2 weeks of 30, for a total of 100 per month), from four weeks to ten months
Private Lessons for one or more
The Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced levels are offered within the Common European Framework of Reference, covering Levels A1 to C2. Teachers have a university background and many years of experience in teaching Italian to foreigners, and they make use of modern and tested multimedia materials.
The small size of the school and its almost family-setting makes it an ideal school for students who are at the beginning level and/or seek an intensive learning experience.
October through December 2012:
October 1-26, November 5-30, December 3-21, 2012. Beginners can start the first week of each session.
March through December 2013: (* denotes start dates for beginners)
- March 4*-15 and 18-29
- April 2*-12, 15-26
- April 29* to May 10, May 13-24
- May 27*- June 7, June 10-21, June 24*- July 5
- July 8-19; July 22*- August 2
- August 5*-16, August 19*-30
- September 2*-13 and September 16*-27
- September 30*-October 11 and October 14*-25
- October 28 - November 8, November 11*-22 and November 25* to December 6
Costs for Language Program
Program costs include registration, tuition, books, certificate of attendance, single room (except for programs less than 4 weeks) in a shared apartment, and EHI services. Typical costs by week or single month are show below:
|One or two weeks (excluding housing cost)||One Month (with housing)|
|Standard||2 weeks: $600||$1600|
|Intensive||1 week: $650||$2400|
|2 weeks: $1,150|
Contact EHI for more information on costs (different periods or combinations of study, private lessons, housing, special discounts). Note: A substantial change in the exchange rate between Euro and dollar may result in an adjustment up/down in fees.
All housing is in the historic area of Assisi and a short walking distance from the school. Typical housing and costs are:
- Single room: estimated at $450 per two weeks or $600 per month, including Accademia’s housing fee
- Independent apartment (furnished): estimated at $550 per two weeks and $970 per month, including Accademia’s housing fee but excluding utilities (water, gas, and electricity)
- Hotel/ pensione: cost varies according to the category. It is estimated to be from $65 per night.
Language of Classes
Classes are taught in Italian.
Examinations and Certificates
A Certificate of Attendance for one or more months of course(s) will be issued by the Accademia after demonstrated attendance in the one month course(s). A diploma, Certificate for Knowledge of Italian Language, will be provided upon successful completion of the examination. The examinations are given after three months of courses.
Activities & Excursions
The Accademia’s facilities include a music room, library, and film viewing room (dvd- home theatre), and access to Wi-Fi. Students also have access to a computer room with free e-mail service and use of cd roms. The school arranges activities and meetings and organizes guided excursions as follows:
- two-days trips (Saturday and Sunday) to Italian cities such as Rome, Florence, Venice, etc.
- outings to the area surrounding Assisi.
- visits to museums, monuments and places of interest in and around Assisi.
- meetings with sculptors and painters in their working environments.lectures concerts, meetings with writers and poets.
- tours of well-known Umbrian towns such as Todi, Gubbio, Perugia, Deruta, Spoleto.
The Accademia may also arrange meetings with craftsmen in glass, wrought iron, and ceramics in their studios. Trips and outings are at a nominal fee. The School may also assist participants in planning independent excursions.
Persons who wish to apply should complete the application and send by mail or electronically to the European Heritage Institute. See details of the application process on the Downloads page.